Saturday 29 July 2017

Mitochondrial searchs

With great anticipation, I am awaiting DNA kits for myself and my family. It is soon to be my birthday and this was the most ridiculous thing that I have been wanting,  for the longest of times.

I feel that a present should always be something you have really really wanted, but can never justify the expenditure. My husband offered and I jumped at the chance of getting them done.

I have been looking up Genetics for dummies and I know from Melissa having done a DNA test, that the Mitochondrial is passed down the mother line with no changes. They may mutate but apart from that they stay the same. These DNA cause food to be made usable, I think that it is a cute Gene for us women to control.

I decided to trace back my female creeper on the tree. A creeper is when you are only interested in 1 branch and let one sex dominate the investigation of a family line. With ancestors doubling (well hopefully) every generation it is a whopping shocker when you are only interested in the surname you were given at birth.

Here is my mt line

Rosemary  Crone 1935
Jessie Welch 1893
Henrietta Booyens 1866
Zacharia Rabie 1842
Anna Cilliers 1819
Hendrina van eeden 1765
Cornelia  van der venter 1736
Dorethea Coetzer 1717
Cornelia  Helm 1673
Anna Willemse 1650

I am such a South African I should really know how to speak Afrikaans. If you are part of my family, an apology, you are really not as English as Mustard, no matter how you spread it. Well I suppose you could be as long as you did not have my mother as one of your ancestors.

It is amusing that we really are just squishy machines. A little tweek here a little tweek there and with each generation we try to build better machines.

Hope you all enjoy your Genetics today.

Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment